I am a sucker for Sonic Drive-In's Cherry Limeade. Even when I am not thirsty, if I see a Sonic down the road, there is an irrational pull that lures me there. Perhaps it is because I think of the drink as a novelty because there are no convenient Sonics in the DMV (that's DC-Maryland-Virginia metro region for you non DC-ers), so I feel the compulsion to satiate my craving whenever I can. Good news, now I can simulate a Cherry Limeade at home whenever I "need" one, and the next time I see a Sonic perhaps I will just drive on by. Who knows?
Sonic Cherry Limeade
- 10-12 oz. Lemon-Lime Soda (Sprite, 7-Up, etc), so this is either half of a 20oz bottle or a whole can.
- Cherry Juice (This is a tricky ingredient. I found a tart cherry concentrate near the cocktail mixer section in the grocery aisle, or there is a Juicy Juice option as well)
- 1/2 lime
- Optional: Maraschino cherry for garnish
- Fill a large (16 oz) cup 2/3 full of ice. Confession: I LOVE SONIC ICE! Which, if you are not familiar, are the small round ice pellets that look like hail. I wanted an authentic experience, so I went to the local Jimmy Johns that has this ice in their soda machine and bought a drink, but left with just the ice! I know, so economical.
- Pour the lemon-lime soda into the cup, leaving room at the top.
- Squeeze the half lime on the soda, then drop the lime half into the cup (for authenticity).
- Add the cherry juice. The amount will depend on what you found in your grocery store. If it was cherry juice concentrate (what I had), use 2 tsp. If it is bottled juice (Juicy Juice), then use 3 Tbsp.
- Stir with a straw and enjoy!